swimming Gulf of Mexico

swimming Gulf of Mexico
Celebrating 4th of July in the Gulf of Mexico with family

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Day dreaming about far away places


Can you tell there is a theme to some of my recent blogs along the line of wanting a vacation and not being able to take one? I am taking a stroll down memory from my trip downunder in 2003. The above picture is taken in Rockhampton aka Rocky by the locals. It is known as the beef capitol of Australia. In 2003 Charlie was asked to be on an international panel dealing with farm stress issues for the International Beef Exposition. To us in America it would be the equivalent of the State fair. We were pretty jet lagged when we arrived in Rocky and were certain they were speaking another language than English. I was pleasantly surprised that in my 3 weeks there I was able to count change. I also understood "battered or baked" when I ordered my fish and chips which I ate an awefully lot of.

While in Rocky we stayed with a nice family in a Queenslander style home. Our hosts were David and Vera Halsey who were gracious enough to show us around the town. The accomodations were complete with a rehabilitated kookaburra who woke us up every morning with his raucous laughter. I don't have a scanned picture of their house but below is an example of a modern brick version of a Queenslander. The older more traditional ones were timber construction.


Heck o pete if you want to learn more about Queenslander type architecture you can visit this link at Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queenslander_(architecture) The concept of these houses are right up my alley. I would move there in a heart beat given the right opportunity. One bad thing though rabbits are highly illegal there.

No comments:

Post a Comment