swimming Gulf of Mexico

swimming Gulf of Mexico
Celebrating 4th of July in the Gulf of Mexico with family

Thursday, June 18, 2009

cherry pie anyone?


Yesterday I made a pass through our local farmers market and saw a pint of cherries. I was thinking cherry pie sounded really good but am realistic enough to know that with Charlie on the road I would be lucky if I ate dinner. So I kept on walking. Tonight I went outside and remembered to pick our first ever cherry crop. Aren't they cute?

My day didn't start off the best. I had a dental appointment and the sight and smell of a dentists office sets off some kind of fear from my childhood that is primal. My nerves were a bit on end just getting ready to go to town not to mention I rarely make a 9 o'clock appointment so I was feeling rushed. While doing my bunny chores I happened to notice a kit on the ground. I was so brain dead that I had to jump start it into gear. I think the heat fries brain cells same way as alcohol...this is your brain on a summer day in Kansas. I say to myself how can this happen and who does it belong to? Maybe I need another cappuccino? Duh, once I scooped up the kit and started searching for more bodies my memory returned. Just the day before I had palpated and thought maybe, just maybe I felt a baby moving. Definitely I think that yesterdays heat killed some brain cells, and hence my amnesia. As luck would have it I was able to locate 4 nice looking kits but sadly 2 had succumbed from getting chilled. I gathered up some of my nice expensive Oxbow hay that I have been feeding to the youngin's and made a nest box for moma and gave her the babies. Normally, it would mortify me to use this good hay for bunnies to go to the bathroom on, but heck my adrenaline was primed. With nest box in place Moma bun went to work pulling wool and covering them. Clearly one of them nursed really well...as you see in the picture below. It's a pretty good example of "got milk" So all is well that ends well, but it was a hare raising start to the day for moi.



Normally when Charlie goes to this particular conference it is ALWAYS during the hottest part of the year. Sometimes I have been lucky enough to go along, one time a very long time ago I severed a tendon in my right hand. It has been 2005 and not since I got myself into the bunny bidness that I have been with him on a trip. So I find myself desparately longing to go someplace, do something. But I'm here at home living like a dairy farmer tending the ranch....dreaming about the Great Barrier reef and tropical fruit ripe off the tree. Someone needs to do my job, Charlie is it and he isn't available. The best lemonade I could make today was to baracade myself into the only air conditioned space in our house i.e. the bedroom. I cranked the a/c way down low and turned the fan on and read a little bit in an astrology book about the fire signs. It took awhile to cool down pondering on the elements so deeply :-) Bailey, Maia, and Chloe seemed to enjoy our little escape..but of course when I got up for the camera to take a shot of this beatific scene Chloe fled. Don't Bailey and Maia look cozy chilling out on my bed?

Since I was not able to conjure up a dinner companion I decided to go dine alone at the Little Grill. We are regulars there and Kenrick the proprietor always makes a point of stopping by to say hello. It's always a warm feeling for me to go there. Tonight was out of the ordinary since I was alone and feeling down on my heels. I left for my car when I heard someone say something to me. When I looked back it was Kenrick and with his deep Jamaican accent he says "goodnight bebe" and without thinking or monitoring I "blew" him spontaneous kiss. You never really know what a small gesture can mean to someone feeling down in the dumps. Kenrick is the best host, bless his soul. And that little interaction made my day, that and the rum cake :-)

4 comments:

  1. what a fat little kit! so cute. i know it's hard when charlie's gone, with so much to do, but i enjoyed hearing about your day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It's the little things that can make or break you...and the people around you.

    And this heat is killing more than brain cells around here! Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl, you do sound HOT...did you get the fan up and going? Give me a holler if you still need help. Sorry I couldn't make it up yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the good vibes everyone! I used up my knee hauling the rabbitry fan out of the basement. I tried to get some help but no one was available to assist, it's a sorry affair not having neighbors or family nearby that can help when you need it. I forgot to ask C to do that before he left and it was my bad. Today the sun is undercover and I am relieved.

    ReplyDelete