swimming Gulf of Mexico

swimming Gulf of Mexico
Celebrating 4th of July in the Gulf of Mexico with family

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Goin' postal (It's a long one)

Today I am grateful that I had the composure yesterday not to go postal on our rural letter carrier. I guess the heat was getting to him also. My parcel, the Bond fleece from Joanna at Gleason's Fine Woolies arrived. I was inside barefoot and wishing for a/c when I hear a car on the road laying on the horn...then pulls into the driveway still alarming. Being close to the road and having lost more than one animal to that infernal country road my heart is in my throat. I don't bother to find my shoes (who knows more than likely they are clear upstairs). I feel like I do not have the time and I run out to see what is the matter. So there I am like a Yogini walking barefoot over fire to get to Ellians's fleece. Turns out it is the lazy impatient mail man who doesn't even have the good sense to just throw my box on the ground and keep driving. Rather I am supposed to be sitting here waiting for his horn to blare as he is driving up so I can run and and save him effort...for a job he is paid EXTREMELY well to perform.

I walked out and glared at him and as they say"if looks could kill he would be dead right now". Then came inside and picked up the phone to call the post master to find out what the procedure is for packages that don't fit in the mail box. I could have strangled him. Instead of being happy to see my package I was ready to go postal. Not stellar behavior or thinking on my part being so enraged. I think horn honking is really rude in most cases and should be reserved for more life threatening situations and road rage not being one of them. Well I was on a slippery slope and it just unraveled me given my recent history of losing a beloved cat to some more than likely inconsiderate and uncaring person. More than one kitty has succumbed to the road here and I cannot allow any more cats inside. IF I won the lottery I would make some kind of fun outdoor enclosure for my beloved felines, AND my neighbors would think of me as the crazy cat lady for which I truly am. For now it is still subterranean.

I've not yet opened the box with the drop dead stunningly beautiful fleece. It is sitting here in my kitchen now and Dust Bunny is finding it a nice bed. I was so bummed out yesterday it sat outdoors over night. Happily for everyone involved, today is a better day. I didn't say a word to the postal worker, just sucked it in. I performed a hazing ritual of watching reruns my favorite tv show the Dog Whisperer and got repeated lessons on the importance of "calm assertive" behavior.... of which I did NOT have an ounce of yesterday. Cesar Millan is a spiritual teacher in my humble opinion and the best thing on television (not to mention the single most important reason for the premium cable option)

My hot water tank is still cranked up on boogey and the careless has scorched her hand (but thankfully not burned) more than once. Today I'll open her up and wash some fleece for my spinning pleasure. Some days climbing to the mountain top feels like it is all too much to bare, but in my heart I know I just need to keep on hiking. Lordy it can be trying.

Recently it was passed on to me that a friend had commented "Denise spends a lot of time on the computer....she is on Face Book, twitter, you know she even has a blog." You could read between the lines and hear her saying "there are dishes that need to be washed and her house is cluttered and messy, but she spends time on the computer". This is a person who is too busy to read my blog, doesn't get me really at all. But yet is someone I've known for many years and lives somewhat in the neighborhood and would consider herself a close personal friend to me. She doesn't have time to be a neighbor either for that matter. Ironic as it may seem, she might learn something about my inner workings if she had the time to read my blog? I pass around my addy and those who care to tune in do so. Life on the farm has it trials and tribulations and I am using this blog more and more to write about the ups and downs of farm life. Maybe even will add a little more personal and in depth elements e.g. today's posting. I think my way of life as an important way of life to preserve. Goodness, knows it isn't easy. Sometimes if I want human contact the computer is my only choice, which is really a very sad comment on the world. I've been thinking about making a Top 10 list of why Face Book stinks as a form of social networking. I wanted to make it funny though like a Letterman joke. This weekend I have not been able to be funny about this really very serious subject. So I'm stumped. I know if you are still reading this you get it. More importantly, you can be thankful along with me that I didn't go postal. Thanks for being out there in the ethers and caring. Contact is important, it creates love.

7 comments:

  1. "For now it is still subterranean." LOLOL

    I think it is increasingly odd for people to *not* be on facebook, twitter, and have a blog (or 3), and probably their own website, not to mention a tumblr, flickr, blip tv, ravelry, myspace, plurk, blah, blah, blah. It's almost as if people who aren't on facebook don't really exist ;P But for serious, the internets are such a huge and wonderful resource for those of us choosing a rural lifestyle. No more backwoods isolation (except for the days that seems preferable - and then those postal workers better watch their asses!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks gals....kinda of hurtful that someone could be critical for using technology...in light of certain values, when possibly they do not realize the inconsistency in their own behaviors. walk a mile in my shoes as the old saying goes. thank the lord for computers in opening up a whole new world. I'm grateful for all my friends out there in the ether net who can be more present than those right here in my own neighborhood..so that is hopeful that there is someone out there paying attention....thanks friends

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say who cares what they think and let's move on to more important things and get busy opening that box of wool! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent point crazysheeplady :-) Don't fret she only stayed closed 24 hrs. i've opened her up but need to set aside some time to get washing. I wish I had an outdoor way to wash fleece...or mebe a nice studio to wash fleece other than the kitchen sink. I do have a sweater plan in mind for this fleece...a good beginning knitter one. (I hope that it will work anyway, the beginning part I mean :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it part of their training or what? Only rarely do I encounter a postal worker who is pleasant (and when I do, I compliment them!)
    I have found that people who ridicule technology are often too intimidated to use it and won't bother trying to learn. Who wants to become an old fuddy-duddy who can't function in today's world? Not me (or you!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Dianne! You know our UPS delivery guys are so nice. They know our German Shepherd Molly, bring her a treat, are always friendly and kind to me, and never scare the wits out of me. Funny how I never really connected the dots but there is something to the notion of going postal. From this day forward I am going to make a point to use UPS. Their sense of professionalism really does make a difference. And now that I am in a calm assertive state I think I will make another call to the post master :-)

    And amen who really wants to be a fuddy duddy in this modern world? I would have never found out you were neighbor to my sister in KY of all things if it were not for this technology? Thank goodness for this technology.

    ReplyDelete