swimming Gulf of Mexico

swimming Gulf of Mexico
Celebrating 4th of July in the Gulf of Mexico with family

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Knowing she has wings



This is a first in my life, a piece of original art painted by my friend Ann L. Carter purchased from the Strecker-Nelson Gallery.    It is quite a splurge for us, not expensive but we scrape by financially and funds seem to go either toward feeding animals or daily living.   I've been of the opinion that it is hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear which is how I feel about our chaotic jumbled up house.  Beautiful art seems like "wasted" energy here,  I  to change that.    It's funny but eons ago during my first and brief stint in college enrolled in "Art Appreciation 101" amazingly I remember something the professor said.   Original art is always a wise investment.    I didn't buy this work as an investment in the financial sense.   I bought it for the sake of  love and adding a little beauty to my life.   This is the kind of  investment you cannot put a price tag on.

First and foremost, Ann is a neighbor and a friend.   Her daughter Helen has been tremendously helpful to me.   Especially this winter while I was hobbling around with a broken fibula.   The final motivation to take the plunge was on Friday.    My beloved kitty Chloe passed away the day before.  It was a tremendous shock to my body mind because it was very sudden. she was not an old cat.  I was devastated to say the least by her untimely passing.   I've been known to replace a heart break by acquiring another animal.   I cannot do that anymore, not that I am shutting out love.  I just opted for something more enduring as a memory of my beautiful kitty who is no longer with me in physical form.   The painting has been rolling around in my head for a month or so.   I have really wanted one of Ann's paintings for even longer than that.    This particular one speaks to me on such a powerful level it hard to describe but I will give it a try.   I believe that the winged ones are messengers of the Gods, and IF you pay really close attention during the most trying times...well they just might appear. 

Not so long ago this spring I was sitting in our city park listening to something that was quite sorrowful.   I looked into the trees and there were blue birds flitting in and out of the trees right before me.   I thought that was just amazing.  The blue bird of happiness flew by.... at just the right moment to help lift my spirit and give me a ray of hope.    There have been other times, with other birds that have been really quite amazing in their timing as well.    So I give great credence to this theory that birds are messengers from realms we don't quite know or understand.

Back to that college professor, I don't really think of this work as an investment.   I think of it as a cherished object to pass on to someone who will love it just as much as I do.    Also I want to add how fortunate I am to live in a community with such an active art scene.   If you are not local you can visit the Gallery online at http://www.strecker-nelsongallery.com   Please read more about the lovely and talented artist at http://annlcarter.com/     In my humble opinion this is quite a find.

10 comments:

  1. This is a lovely piece of artwork Denise and it's so fitting for you and your home and I'm pleased you made the purchase of it. You are so right, you can't put a price on art. It's lasting and it's real. So keep adding art to your life despite the woes you feel of your home. That special piece of art may change how you see your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nice to hear from you Leisa. Yes I need to keep this up as motivation to keep plugging away at trying to get some home improvements to make things around here more pleasant. I have my eye on some other pieces as well.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, it is a beautiful piece of art-art always does the soul good

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's more to this story as well. I had been thinking recently about whether to continue the encaustic bird series, why I was doing it, and what it meant. Then Denise wrote me about how one of my birds helped her with her loss, and I felt I had the answer to my question. As it turned out, the piece she bought was the one I did last September when first experimenting with encaustic. Because I thought it captured some of the magic of birds I decided to do the series. It was special to me for that reason and I had only recently taken it to the gallery for sale. I'm so glad these little birds are bringing joy....such wonderful creatures birds are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really touching to learn that I picked out Ann's first little bird. It has a special home now. It really has helped as I process the grief over the loss of Chloe and numerous others in the past few months. We ALL need this kind of beauty and art in our lives to feed our hungry souls. What a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read your comment on the Sheep Dreams blog, and wanted to let you know that I read your blog! Not all the time, but I do. I know what you mean about blogging. I haven't posted on mine since December! I have a tiny herd of 3 French Angoras (it was 4 but I lost one of my girls a couple of months ago) - my 2 girls came from Lisa Rodenfels, a buck from Amy Spang, and another buck from a breeder in Indiana who's name escapes me, but Dustin Maschino delivered him. So we have lots of folks in common (I also know Annette) but since you are so far away, I can't figure out how you know Dianne and "the crazy sheep lady " from my neck of the woods!?!

    Let me also say how sorry I am that you lost your little Chloe.




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, Thanks so much for writing. There is perhaps more overlap than you know and what a beautiful thing about the world wide web we live in. Some of my original buns came from Lisa R and I even drove to her place once. Also I know Dianne Mac from blogging and she happens to live very close to my sister in Kentucky. So I've been to Dianne's place and had a tour of her flock in the dark one night. Where are you located? As Disney says...."It's a small world after all" Most importantly thanks for the contact. It helps remind me we are not alone.

      Delete
  6. The painting is beautiful. Sorry for your loss. Pets are family to us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in Lexington, in a townhouse that I consider my mini - farm, with rabbits (I also have Mini Rexes) a garden and even chickens! Yes the Internet has helped us make friends from all over. We (all of us sheepy / fiber people) have made friends with a lady who breeds Shetlands on Oregon, and I have another blog buddy in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb...thanks so much for writing. I hope to make it to KY pretty soon actually. I was thinking I might even make it next week. I've had laryngitis and my throat feels pretty rough. So maybe I better wait to heal a bit more so I can use my voice when I am there. Maybe I can look you up? I discovered the Yarn Shop underneath Squetial media and was delighted. Do you ever go there?

      Delete