swimming Gulf of Mexico

swimming Gulf of Mexico
Celebrating 4th of July in the Gulf of Mexico with family

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cycles of Life

It is a sad day for us here at Blue Heron Prairie. This morning we discovered our beloved llama Zamoro had passed over during the night. It came as a shock since he showed no sign of illness. He was 12 years old which doesn't seem terrible elderly to us. However, our experience is that they are senior citizens by the time they reach their teens. He came all the way from California to live with us and be a herd sire. The guy was so mild mannered with the ladies that he never produced offspring. Llama breeding is kind of humourous and the girls will protest a little bit during the courtship process. Poor Zamoro seemed to get his feelings hurt with our more assertive females. We tried him out with several of our girls and I guess it just wasn't meant to be, the chemistry just wasn't there. It is amazing how time slips away and our babies are now elders. I remember the day Zamoro arrived, he had hitchhiked cross country with a group of llamas on their way to Missouri. He was very handsome and stately.

On the brighter side. With the ushering of one life out of the world, new life entered. Last night around 9 pm three little bunnies were kindled. It was so cold that I decided to take the nest box away from Mom and keep the babes safe and warm inside the house. It worries me doing that (i.e. interfereing with nature) but this morning when I returned them to Mom she hopped inside and promptly nursed her babies. Once their bellies were full of milk I brought the nest box inside the house to keep them warm. So far so good. This is Mom's first litter and it is so remarkable how they know just what to do.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your loss of Zamorro, what a sweetie he was by your description. And what a shock it must have been to find him gone on this cold morning.

    I have been wondering about baby bunnies and surely glad to hear that three were born, made it through the night and are feeding well. That is happy bunny news for sure. The other mama?

    I have been knitting like a crazy person, yesterday and today, and now the striped sweater is DONE - but it doesn't seem right. I need a major consult with a model and a pro knitter. I think the bodice is too wide and the heavy sweater tends to fall off the shoulders. Sigh. I want OUT of this project right now.
    More later and hope to see you sometime when the animals allow you to get away!
    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about Zamoro. Your description of him and photo are really touching. It sounds like you gave him a wonderful life. Loving and losing them is such a hard part of the farm. Thank God for the cycle though! New babies always make things brighter. Congrats on the new bunnies, and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete