I've been waiting for Esme to give birth since late January. It's been a long wait and I was beginning to suspect she wasn't bred. I had separated the male from the herd and they took matters into their own hands with our fencing situation and the male jumped the fence. I decided to let it be since he would just repeat and we didn't have a good option for him. As it turns out this would not have been a bad year to have a February cria. However, I'm relieved that they decided for nicer weather and perfect timing. We now have 2 baby llamas, born 8 days apart and both male. Our appaloosa male was born a week ago. It's amazing how much difference a week makes in size. We are calling the appy Chocolate Chips aka Chips for short. He seems to be delighted to see another little one around. I'm pleased they will have each other to play with. Male llamas tend to be more spunky in my humble opinion with more play fighting while learning how to be tough guys for when they get their own harem/herd. We have allowed pasture breeding so they decide their timing which poses a bit of a problem with frigid temperatures. We have been supremely lucky that they, for the most part, made good decisions. There was a Valentine's baby born on an 18 degree temperature day. Fortunately for all it was a Sunday and we were home and dried off Valentina immediately and warmed so there was no frostbite. Esme the more matronly mother was over ten years old when she had her first baby. That is a whole other matter and not really intentional on our part....chalk it up to naivete and dumb luck perhaps. We do enjoy the llamas. Our herd was elderly and we thought we were winding down. Thanks to Chato the father we have replenished our stock. I have mixed emotions to say the least. He has given us such nice cria that it took some time to convince Charlie that we needed to get him neutered. One more baby next fall. He has provided a nice legacy of very attractive llamas. Below is today's surprise. If he had a white belly he would resemble the vicuna a more petite and rare member of the camelid family.
 |
| meeting the family |
 |
being born is exhausting.....I was wobbly at first but now I have my legs
|
Enjoyed reading about your new babies. I like your new blog design.
ReplyDelete